Beasts of war 2014 Gaming Awards Finals

So It was the finals on Sunday bit late posting I know I'm sorry only got chance to watch the show last night. So here is the Video for the finals have a watch before you click the read more link below as i will be discussing my views and opinions on the winners and losers and I don't want to spoil it for you if you haven't seen it


Ok so now I hope that you have seen the video if not then shame on you go back and watch it right now.

I said go back and watch it NOW!

OK hope you got the message?

so onto my thought about each category starting off with best sculpt. Well in this when I did vote i voted for the Perry minis because I wanted them to get the recognition because I believe that they are some of the best sculptors out, as a GW lotr/hobbit player I have had the pleasure of working with a lot of the stuff that they have created and I was both pleased and sad to hear the news that they had left GW but they were now going to be able to break free of their chains and let there creative wings unfurl and I look forward to see what they can create in the future. As for the winner well it is a very mini and if the perry twins were not to win then I did want this to be the winner instead the hours model is nice and I would love to give it a try at painting my self in the future when my skills are improved enough to give it the paint job that it deserves.

Onto best paint job and boy was this a tough subject to judge there was just so many well painted minis and i think that the pics that beasts of war posted were a bit lack luster and when I voted I tried to find better pics of the minis elsewhere to really see that paint job in full details. The mini that i voted for was the ork pirate bust I thought that skins detail was AMAZING. After the nominations had been announced I was torn between the world eaters contemptor and the last light. The contemptor's level of detail on the armor while not to my style it is however an amazing level of detail and I dread to think how long or even how the painter managed to hang onto thier sanity while painting that amount of tiny and intricate detail. As for the last light I loved the whole scene there just like the guys in the awards vid said the whole thing just tells an entire story and that whole last stand to the death against all odds is what 40k was all about back when I played.

Best sci-fi is next and while everyone was surprised to see the lack of 40k in the nominations it really didn't surprise me the recent direction of GW with 40k has not impressed me and I know that a few of the other older 40k players are not that pleased with its new direction I stopped playing 40k because I found that there are other games out there now that can fill my need for sci-fi based gaming, I have been loving Deadzone from Mantic recently, but also I have been playing a lot of Fantasy flight games X-wing over the last few months and I have really enjoyed the game, so my vote was torn between those two I wanted to give Mantic the vote because i'm a fan of the company and their great kick starters and the hype created from those gave them the notoriety they deserved. That's not the reason for why I didn't end up voting for them my vote went with X-wing because I love how this game is so well balanced and that there is no I win all ship out there. I could go on more about X-wing but I want to save a lot of my thoughts for future post where I will review X-wing as well as an unboxing of the stuff I got. As for the winner I know that Infinity has a good following and I never realised that the game was around 10 years old just goes to show you what the new starter set, rules and changes to the minis is doing for this game. I have a few friends who are trying to get me into infinity at the moment but I have limited amounts of time and money right now and I really can't justify starting yet another game and adding it to my rather long list of games that I have the stuff for but don't really play. Plus I'm not really into the style of a lot of the infinity minis so its making it tough to decide on a faction to play.

Best Fantasy was quite an easy 1 to vote for and it had to be Warhammer because it is the only one that I have played I did jump on Mantics recent kings of war kick starter as a 1$ pledge with the intention of upping it to the rules book in the future (funds permitting), just to  see what their rules are like and play test them with my warhammer armies and then if I like the rules then I will probably look to get an army in the future. Back to Warhammer so yeah just like the guys from BOW was saying the end times was a real nice breath of fresh air to warhammer and I'm not that up to date with the in depth of whats going on but I have a generalized idea of whats happening and I do look forward to reading more about whats going on as well as seeing what is gonna happen to fantasy when it gets it's new rules I was really interested to hear the rumors from BOW about an inclusion of a new skirmish level to the game. As for the winner not much I can say about it as I have never played it nor do I have any intention of playing it either I'm not into that whole magic and steam punk machine mix that my limited knowledge of the game allows me to believe it is based upon (maybe I'm wrong and should look in to it a bit more) However I do like a bit of steam punk but not when its mixed up with magic

OK best accessory is next again this was a really category for me to vote for because I have a huge I mean MASSIVE love for the battle zones scenery. Scenery is 1 of my greatest loves for this hobby and I love the flexibility and customization that the scenery Lego ooops I mean battle zones gives you, Yes I know that making the scenery up for every game can be a long task but I love the way that i can flow with my imagination and create a story the battlefield before the game has even started. I Have a massive box full of the stuff at the moment and more on the way so i will have some posts in the future where I will be painting as well as showing off the stuff that I'm getting in the future. Plus with the next Mantic kick starter having a lot of new additions to the scenery. As for the winner I can see that when I finally get my airbrush I can see that I will be investing in these paints in the future based on what the guys were saying as well as what I'm finding out in my research about airbrushing that they Vallejo air ranges are some of the best around for airbrushing with so, watch this space for my thoughts on these paints when I get round to using them.

Finally I'm going to give my thoughts on best punk, horror and other category. But what about historical I hear you yell, well I don't do historical so I can't really comment on that as i know very little about the games at all so its not worth dedicating a paragraph to so back to the other category. well my vote was for dystopian wars because its the only 1 there that I currently play Malifaux is a game that I am keen to play as I like the minis and I like the idea of a story driven skirmish based game as well that remarkably doesn't use dice. Malifaux was 1 of the 1st games that had caught my attentions many years ago when i started looking further afield after being a huge GW fan boy but when the bubble burst for me with GW and the blinkers were removed I began to notice that there are some great alternatives out there and I think malifaux's punk rock samurai zombies were 1 of the very 1st non GW minis that I had gotten excited for, but then I also learnt 1 of the bad things about non GW games and that was a complete lack of people that played Malifaux near by me and thankfully things have begun to change with these non GW games and there are growing numbers of people prepared to play them and its part and parcel to a great new FLGS venue near by me that has given people a place to play and a focus for the community which was lacking for those non GW games.

Please post in the comments section what you thought of the winners? did you agree? what would you have voted for? 

Post a Comment