The Start of my Journey


As I was painting further on my Skaven I came across a problem that I have seen all over the forums about miniature painting and that is my lighter colors were looking chalky.






I know the picture is not very good, but the tail looks chalky or pastel.

Now this is where my journey to become a better painter begins because we are going to find out how to stop this from happening rather than leaving it and not pushing ourself to do better. 

Now in full noobish style to fix this I dove into the internet and was looking for the magic fix, but with all things there is none but there are lots of suggestions and ideas out there and to help myself and everyone who is reading this and finding the same problem to fit it.

So over the next few weeks I am going to try as many as I can and share with you all the methods and how it went (Although you find what works for one person may not work for everyone.)

Ok, so here is the list I compiled from the suggestions out there on the forums.

  1. Almost white wash to build layers
  2. Thin to a whole milk consistency 
  3. Thin with water only
  4. Shake bottle for a while 
  5. Use filtered water to thin
  6. Halfords Batter top-up water
  7. Towel instead of paper towel to remove excess paint
  8. Allow the layers to dry before adding a new layer.
  9. Vallejo glazing medium to thin the paint.
  10. Vallejo model color ivory.

2 comments:

  1. vallejo model color ivory. Never gets chalky not matter how much you thin it or what you mix it with. You can thank me later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will add it to the list I have found that most of off white not gray though of the reaper i find this issue.

      Delete