The Devil of Hell's Kitchen - Knight Models' Daredevil 8/50

Like many people, I got caught up in Daredevil when it was released on Netflix a few weeks back, finishing the series (which is awesome - highly recommend it) the day after it's release.

Instead of saying "oh, that's it", I decided to try and carry the mojo forwards and got the Knight Models Daredevil mini out of the blister and got to work.

He comes in 3 pieces - head, torso and legs, which are attached to a large building ledge. A relatively easy build with few mold lines, the main issue was that both the front and back of the bottom of the torso piece were angled, meaning either front or back would have a large gap.

I chose to put the gap to the front, which only gave a slight crouch instead of a deeper one and filled it in with some green stuff.


I initially didn't know how to do the base, but eventually settled on having the building piece to be a ruin and added some rock around it to simulate some rubble.


While I love the look of the suit in the series (the one later on, not the black one, though that one is cool), the model didn't really lend itself to that so I went for the classic look. Unfortunately this is almost all red, so all of the contrast had to come from depth rather than from different colours.


I used the same technique and colours on Daredevil as I did on Deadshot a while back, though in this case, I used at least double the number of layers. I think the final total was around 15 or so different layers of red.











The base is one of the few areas of contrast, so I washed the grey building parts in green and brown to really bash home the dirty, dingy look. 

I finished him off with a matt varnish, as the scale colour ink mix (red, purple and brown) created a large amount of shine in the shadow areas and it has toned it down quite a lot.

Overall I enjoyed painting him. Great TV series, and a nice mini if you get around the large gap in his stomach to begin with.



Post a Comment