Helpful Tip.




I thought that I might share with you all something that I have figured out that I was unable to find online and maybe people will be able to see this and not have to work it out themselves

Ok, these are just two small and maybe to some none important, but maybe helpful for others.

Pinning

I have been looking for a while about tips on pinning and was not able to find much and also when looking to buy stuff I could only find drills nothing for the pins itself. And I was having an issue with finding something that I could temporarily pin a model without having to glue it in.

And I was able to find it!!

Paper Clips


A 0.8 drill bit 


The paper clips are what I would call standard ones because I know there are a lot of different variations but to be more precise, they are from Tesco cost £1 and came in a little see through box looked for a link but was unable to find one.

I am sure you are able to find a 0.8 drill bit, but this one is a part of a Dremel set and the smallest one.

With this I am able to drill a hole that I am able to push the pin in and it to be able to be pulled out without the need to glue it. 

Oasis floral foam

Now this is something that came to me while I was preparing the Dark elf and with the pinning works great!


The Oasis cost 0.69p also I might cut it to make more of it, but it's great for holding W.I.Ps wile you work on them or primming them, maybe not when its one model but if its a squad than its very useful.


 Hope this was helpful.






8 comments:

  1. Nice tip on the floral foam. That is perfect for holding mini's. I kept trying to use corks but they tend to topple over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bowl full of rice that I pop my corks into while I'm working on them. My last #WIPwednesday pic on twitter shows it.

      Delete
  2. That floral foam is very clever. I wonder if you could cut it into a grid of taller bits, kind of like cork, and then use a large rubber band to group them into a large block for priming. Once sprayed, you could split them into individual ones for hand-holding. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not to sure on the hand holding unless you coat it in something it is a very very flacky and fragile so you can't be heavy handed.

      Delete
  3. Also baking soda + super glue = super strong bond for small metal minis you can't pin. You only get one shot though so dry fit first. Don't use it on plastic or resin because because the heat from the chemical reaction can warp those materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? I've never heard that in my 25+ years of painting (much of that with metal minis that). Could have saved me SO much time with the old Tyranid Screamer-Killer. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yep! Try it on on some of those super tiny Infinity suckers ;)

      Delete
    3. i'll have to remember this one as well, thank you Zab you do have alot of good and helpful ideas and tips!

      Delete