Basius 2 - The Milliput Experiments.

Recently, I picked up a couple of Basius 2 pads from the Wargames Bakery Kickstarter for them and posted about my first attempts at using green stuff with them. I got a couple of comments suggesting I try Milliput with them, so that's exactly what I've done!

My technique so far has been mix up a batch of Milliput, smooth to roughly level with the bevel on the base or just over, depending on which parts of the mold I want to use, and smooth out with a small amount of vaseline/petroleum jelly. This has had mixed results.

For example, these were all made with parts of the Victoriana pad.


The ones where I filled it to the brim or just over tended to overflow, while others that were filled to just under failed to capture all of the required detail - the one on the bottom right I had to carve the pavement tiles myself and it shows. The overflows were tidied up just by taking a knife to the edges, trying to make them presentable then using the excess on the next base. 

Almost all of the above bases are now in use for my current project - my Red Hood gang.



Using the Imperial pad, I made use of the different levels offered to create some height on my Hoarcat bases for Malifaux. As they're swarm models, the actual minis on the bases are quite small for such large bases so the additional height adds a little extra to them. Apologies that the minis aren't really in focus, but its the bases we're interested in!




And a standard one for variety.


Overall, I like the Milliput and have a second box on order so that I can continue to use it, despite having 2/3 of a box left. However, it has a habit of getting left behind in the sand/rubble effect on the pads, as well as any tiny cracks or lines, which green stuff tends not to do. This might be down to me not leaving it to cure for long enough but I get the feeling that it may just be down to the texture of the mix. 

With that in mind, I think I'll be keeping experimenting with Milliput to try and get levels right for the more standard bases, while any that have rubble/intricate detail will get greenstuffed (possibly after a layer of Milliput to bulk it up) as that seems to take to them better.

4 comments:

  1. Those bases came out really well. I think they'll only get better the more you make! Looking forward to seeing them painted up, that is when they will really shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. I've got the Red Hood/Nightwing gang on the painting table at the moment, so that's seven that should be painted up relatively soon.

      Delete
  2. One thing you can do is mix Milliput and Green Stuff together to get a putty that has some of the strengths of both but less of the weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not thought about mixing the two, will give that a shot on my next round.

      Delete