On The Desk - Necron Overlord Part 4


Back to the Overlord this week! About the time that I bought the model I also bought a resin base to go with it...now I'm not entirely sure where I got it from but I think it was Secret Weapon. I can't see it on their site any more but it might have been replaced. I added a Lychguard shield from my Bitz Box and a little Vallejo Sandy Paste and then primed it black.

I decided to go with a more standard green/black theme for the base. I'm still not sure whether this was a good mood or not, it may contrast with the miniature a little too much. I started off by using a very pale green/white mix to paint the power veins on the base and shield. Then I used GW Waywatcher Green to add more of a glow.


I painted the metal areas of the shield and the sandy areas of the base (I decided it might look good if it was disintegrated metal) with Black Metal from Scale 75. Then I used Heavy and Speed Metal to highlight. I also used Necro, Dwarven and Elven Gold, again from S75 to paint the symbol in the centre.


And here is the mini pinned to the base! It was at this point I remembered that I hadn't done anything with the resurrection orb...whoops. Let's address that.


I wanted to try and get a galaxy feel to the orb, to really represent the power contained within. I started with a swirl of dark red dots, just using the tip of my brush. The swirl works it's way around the sphere like a galaxy. Apologies for these horrendous photos, my phone does not handle closeups well, hopefully it gives you an idea of what I did!

Next up same again but with orange and more focussed towards the centre of the swirl.

I used some purple and red glazes to tone this down a little then went back in with white to represent stars, focussing on the centre even more. I then gloss varnished the orb.

So here is the final miniature. I probably could have pushed this further, more contrast, maybe some freehands on the shoulder pads but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.






Post a Comment