Unboxing Luz - New York from Nocturna Models

I had intended to have a post involving some paint up today, but pulling a muscle in my lower back in midweek has meant that I haven't been able to actually put any paint on a model to talk about!

Instead, I've decided to unbox Luz - New York from Nocturna Models for you. She's a 70mm scale model and cast in resin.


Luz was actually one of the first larger pieces that I picked up - about £40 on ebay earlier in the year. 

Once you open up the nice metal tin, you are met with a layer of foam. Under the foam are the 7 pieces that make up Luz - The base, which is a wall section with nifty gargoyle that Gotham would be proud of, two arms, the main body, head, leg and cloak extension. 





I got out some blu tack and put together a dry fit as I felt it was the best way to show off some of the awesome detail.


I love that the fabric of her stockings and top are a completely different texture to that of the cloak and her skin. It's all too easy on some smaller miniatures to have a flat surface look the same as another flat surface until you work out what exactly it should be and paint it as such. On a larger piece, such as Luz, intricate detail such as the ripples and folds add a lot of character and almost guide the painter in how to tackle them.








While it's difficult to tell from a partial build held together with blu tack, willpower and curse words, the pose she has is somewhere in between dynamic and passive. She's not flailing about madly, or standing completely still bored out of her mind. Instead (to me at least), she's leaning forward, obviously from a height thanks to the presence of the wall scenery, and stepping forward to survey the scene beneath her.

Part of the trouble I have with pieces I buy as pieces to paint rather than pieces to potentially game with is to find the inspiration in how to paint them. Being able to picture Luz in the scene in my mind as she is above, all I have to do is find the time and courage to get her built and painted. 

Oh, and Happy Mass Effect day folks!

1 comment: