War Hog WIP Part 3



Just one week to go until Smogcon, let's see what's left to do...


I have been working on the base a lot lately, since I knew I was planning to use water resin and it can be a bit of a risk I wanted to get it done in plenty of time so I would have time to correct it if required.


First I added a little monster to the base, he's going to be tripping up the pig with his tenticle. I think mixed the water resin and added a little bit of brown acrylic paint. I'm not sure if colouring the resin is a great plan, I haven't had any problems with it setting, but it makes topping up or editing it later a bit of a pain. 

I poured the resin using a simple masking tape barrier to contain it and when I removed the masking tape after 2 days this is where we were:


Resin Life
hmm, a few issues here, but nothing we can't fix:

1. The edge has a poor/opaque finish
2. There is a huge meniscus effect at the edges
3. Some of the resin escaped and flowed along the side of the base and left some holes

Also at this point I made a few adjustments to the colours, since I now had all the parts on the base and I felt there was a little too much green, so I toned some rocks down towards grey.

The first step is to fill the holes in the edges and start sanding!

Holes? What Holes?

 I keep sanding, gradually trying to get the resin as smooth as possible, at this point things look a mess and you start to wonder if you've made a big mistake. :/


Things are looking bad right?

Oh no, it's a mess! Now for the trick, a coat of gloss varnish on the resin brings it back up nicely:
Starting to clear up!

Black out the base again and we're pretty much there, it's not perfet but it's pretty clear:


Phew!
A few shots of the completed base, there might be a few more little tweaks but these will come right at the end:


What a sneaky monster!


 I have also been working on the pigs details, finishing the NMM on the arm and painting in the eyes:


That is one massive axe!


I want to spend the last week adding details including stratches to the metals and more contrast to the skin because I think it lacks it. I took a photo in monochrome to make the contrast easier to see, and I think the skin is lacking:


Grey Pig!

What do you think?

Post a Comment