The Five Hour Painting Challenge - Scibor Dwarf





This week, may I introduce to you a new monthly feature: The Five Hour Painting Challenge!

The idea is to paint one model within a 5 hour time limit. I got the idea shortly after painting the Feral Nexus this past week (which took around 4 hours to complete). I recently subscribed to the Model Box mail order service, and was pleasantly surprised by the random selection of models I received. The Model Box I received in July had the Feral Nexus, and the Scibor Miniatures Dwarf Wild Warrior you are about to see.




The Guidelines:
The rules are very simple:
1) Choose a single model you think you can paint within the five hour limit.
2) You may assemble, base and prime your model before starting the clock.
3) Take some WIP shots as you go, with a timer in the photo.
4) Once complete take a photo of the model and your final time - see how well you do.

The Pieces.
As you can see, the model comes in four pieces (I have included the base as a piece as its not your run-of-the-mill base) with the arm and axe left on the block of resin. Unfortunately my model is missing a left boot! I managed to green-stuff a new toe on the model (I'm not very good at sculpting, by the way!) 

The Detail.

Not a bad bit of sculpting, if I do say so myself! (Or, beginners luck?)

Missing foot aside, the detail on this model is fantastic. The recesses are deep enough to get some real definition when I put paint to model. There was also very little flash, which is a good sign that the moulds are in good shape. I primed the model in grey (as opposed to a flesh colour) as I am going to experiment with some flesh tones on this model.

Is that the time?


3 hours 50 minutes is not bad, for my first go!

I finished this model way quicker than expected.  The base colours took a little over an hour and twenty minutes. I shaded the whole model with Agrax Earthshade, which took about 25 minutes to dry (it was pretty damp out today, what with it raining and all.)

I finished painting the flesh at the 2:03:12 mark and completed the rest of the model in just under a complete time of four hours.

The Finished Model.


The finished model, from the front. The left foot looks OK too!


I even painted the eyes!


Finished model from the back.

The Verdict.
This model was exceptionally fun to paint. I usually have a particular style to my painting, but I wanted to try something different with flesh tones. I painted all the base colours and then washed the whole model in Agrax Earthshade. I tried a bit of wet blending on this model too. The axe was given a glaze with blue before being highlighted with Chainmail. The only part I'm not overly happy with is the gold/brass colour.

Why not tell me what you think? Or even better, have a go yourself and share your results with us!

4 comments:

  1. That is quite an awesome challenge. He looks great for five hours! I think mine would look about that after ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I'm going to see what's in the Model Box this month (something Suicide Squad related) and make a decision.

      Delete
  2. Can you link me the model box link? I can't seem to find it googling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Unknown :)

      This is the website:
      http://yourmodelbox.com/

      Cheers.

      Delete