Face Practice!


 Some of the feedback I had on my GD entries was that the faces needed more work, White Dwarf recently ran an article on this so I decided to try their tutorial out..

First I raided my bits box for a few different faces:
 Then I basecoated the first couple and put the first highlights on:
 More highlights!
 And now a crimson wash to the centre of the faces:

 
 Finally, more highlights, teeth and eyes!
 
  
This was a fun process, good to get some little practice in. I think I took two main lessons from it:

1. I need new brushes! My Series 7's are not holding their point as they once were after all the painting i've done recently, the eyes were a real challenge.

2. I think I had got a bit lazy with faces, what I really found doing this was that I knew what to do, but I had gradually stopped paying as much attention as I should.

So this was a great reminder of what I should be doing, and I think it's good practice to do little training exercises once in a while!

Has anyone else tried this?

4 comments:

  1. Amazing work, I will have to find that article and have a read myself. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work, I will have to find that article and have a read myself. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it! Good luck with the article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff Ark :) Don't limit yourself to just the crimson wash - Coal Black is an awesome one to get glazed into the shadows.

    ReplyDelete