On The Desk - Sinzirith from Raging Heroes


Another quick paintjob from me, this one was done painting with a friend for maybe 4 hours a day over 4/5 days or so. The miniature is Sinzirith by Raging Heroes, it's one of the freebies from their second kickstarter for Toughest Girls in the Galaxy. I would say my weakest areas of painting are skin and faces so this one was definitely taking me out of my comfort zone as she's about 80% skin and face!

After my standard zenithal prime I began playing with flesh tones, I was quite sketchy at this stage the Flesh itself was a mix of GW Ratskin Flesh and Kislev flesh. I used glazes of reds and blues in the shadows.

For the cloak I used wet blending, a technique I'm pretty new with. This got me a good start but I went back in with glazing later to finish it off.


I wanted a greenish hue to the gold armour so I used Peridot Alchemy from S75 as a base. I use a lot of purple glazes to add contrast to the armour.


Bone colours for the sword, a deep pink for the heart (more to come on this) and some S75 Cobalt alchemy for the runes on her left leg. Also eyes! My good friend Anthony Rodriguez from Pirate Monkey Painting gave me a little tutoring on how to approach the eyes and I'm really happy with how they turned out.


For the base I went with something a little weird. About 6 months ago I bought a coconut, I'd always thought the outside could be useful for making roots and vines for basing. Instead I decided to use the shell itself as the base, the wiry outside gives a nice brushy feel and the inside of the coconut shell looks like a blasted, ashy landscape. I'd recently watched Thor: Dark World again and wanted to create a base that felt like the dark world of the dark elves.


I added a few more branchy bits from the coconut to look like some dying vegetation. A little red oxide paste to fill the gaps.


Painted it quite quickly, black prime, drybrushing and some inks, I hit the roots with a lighter colour to suggest some light.


I then decided I wanted some blood dripping from the heart and sword tip. I used short hairs glued to the areas the drips were coming from and then carefully used a cocktail stick to apply superglue to the hairs, a little bit at a time, to give the impression of dripping fluid. 


Next the blood! I used Tamiya clear red mixed with a little Vallejo smoke (clear red is too bright on it's own) and applied it carefully to the heart, sword and a little pool on the ground. I think it turned out pretty good! Little touches like this are not only great fun to experiment with but can really create a focal point for the miniature. Check out the other article for final pics of the mini and as always drop any questions or comments below!

Post a Comment